We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I love makeup and I have a ton of it. In fact, I should buy stock in Ulta (is Ulta on the Exchange?) because I shop there so much. I've been at the Diamond level for a couple of years and I have the makeup collection to prove it.
When I first began wearing makeup, there were only three brands that made shades for darker skin tones – Avon, Mary Kay, and a brand that used to be sold in Macy's. Today, brands have a rainbow of shades to cover most skin hues and I love it. Hence the shopping habit.
When it comes to choosing which brands I love, I look for three things:
- Cruelty-free – no animal should be harmed because I want to look pretty.
- Colors for African American women – all women, no matter the race, struggle with color matching their makeup, right?
- Quality – I want make-up that looks and feels natural, doesn't ruin my skin and lasts (both application and shelf-life).
In this post, I'm going to share my favorite makeup brands and which products I love (by brand).
My Favorite Makeup Brands
- The Ultimate Brush Off Translucent Loose Setting Powder
- All Nighter Liquid Foundation
- All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray
- Naked3 Eyeshadow Pallet
- Naked Heat Eyeshadow Pallet
- Naked Reloaded Eyeshadow Pallet
- Naked Cherry Eyeshadow Pallet
- 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil
- Born This Way Undetectable Medium-to-Full Coverage Foundation
- Tutti Frutti – Dew You Fresh Glow Foundation
- Born This Way Super Coverage Multi-Use Sculpting Concealer
- Chocolate Gold Soleil Bronzer
- Sketch Marker Eyeliner
- Hangover 3-In-1 Replenishing Primer & Setting Spray
- Lip Injection Extreme Lip Plumper
- Tutti Frutti – Sparkling Pineapple Eyeshadow Palette
- Tutti Frutti – Juicy Fruits Comfort Lip Glaze
- Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara
- Superfruit Lip Balm 4 Pack
- Tinted Lipbalm
- Lip Gloss
- Moisturizing Gloss Lip Crayon
- Wonder Stick (great for contouring)
- Matte Bronzer
- Tinted Brow Mascara
Learning How to Apply Makeup
So, that's my list and you're probably wondering how to apply everything. I suck at makeup application videos so I'll share one of my favorite YouTube channels. Cydnee Black is a gorgeous young woman with amazing blue eyes who talks about life as she applies makeup.
I don't do my makeup exactly like here, but I've gotten some amazing tips from her videos.
I tend to avoid a lot of makeup except on Halloween and when I record YouTube videos. Then I have fun with contouring and fun colors. Videos on YouTube can make it seem complicated and time-consuming, but I take away what works for me and leave the rest for more ambitious folks.
If you're new to makeup, have fun with it. Don't compare yourself to the artists on YouTube, just play around and find your personal style.